Thursday, March 19, 2009

Working on our tan/beach bodies, part II

Since it is supposed to be in the mid-70's, let's stay outdoors for the warm-up and work-out. We'll meet near the pull-up bars next to the gym on the corner of Battalion Avenue and 74th Street. Stand at the back steps (leading into the gym) facing the parking lot and look to your right front (1 o'clock position). If you don't know where it is, we'll have someone there directing you over.
This is going to be a little longer, but a beauty.

200 meters, 5 Pull-ups
100 meters, 10 Burpees
100 meters, 15 KB swings
100 meters, 20 Squats
100 meters, 25 Wall Balls
100 meters, 30 Sit-ups
200 meters, 30 Sit-ups
100 meters, 25 Wall balls
100 meters, 20 Squats
100 meters, 15 KB swings
100 meters, 10 Burpees
100 meters, 5 Pull-ups
200 meters

Total running distance: 1 mile
Body parts worked: All

On a serious note, I need all of you to read these CrossFit Journal articles (we have had one of them posted all along on the right by the picture of "Pukie"). Here are the links:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/33_05_killer_workouts.pdf
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf

Rhabdomyolysis (mostly known as Rhabdo) is a dead serious subject and we'll talk about it before the workout because it hit close to home. I know we try to push each other to our limits to improve, but we must remain vigilant and aware of not only our bodies, but each other so none of us overdue it -- don't fall into the trap thinking that it can't happen to you. More to follow.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

joel, still working on my new camera. will take more pics tomorrow and send it off to email this weekend? see you guys tomorrow!!!

Matt said...

I remember this workout. I will try to be there, but have to take a quick trip to the hospital first. I think I may have retorn my achilles tendon yesterday during PT. Hopefully Doc will just call me a sissy, give me a motrin, and tell me to stop whining.

Jenn Kruse said...

See you all there!!!

Jenn Kruse said...

Rhadbo looks like scarey stuff!!! Good to know, thanks Joel!

JP said...

Thanks, Leslie. We'll see you there.
Matt, It is a modification of the last time -- shorter runs/more times, and I added sit-ups to complete the whooping!

We have a Centurion participant currently in the hospital with rhabdo, so keep him in your thoughts/prayers. He's showing signs of improving, but they are monitoring him carefully.

centurion_crossfit forthood said...

Joel, who got rhabdo and how??

JP said...

Don, I sent you an email with the details. He's recovering, but his liver is their primary concern that they are monitoring.

Jenn Kruse said...

FYI, I got the "tan" part of our WOD today....rather a nice burn on the shoulders!!!

centurion_crossfit forthood said...

Joel,

Can you send the email to my Centurion account - I no longer have asscess to my work email - all connectivity is off as the exercise is over and I don't have my CAC reader with me.

Thanks!

Don

Dave Taylor said...

Don, Please email me the details from Joel

centurion_crossfit forthood said...

Dave - WILCO.